Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP gov’t to clean capital’s canal

PP gov’t to clean capital’s canal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The municipal Department of Public Works and Transport says it plans to remove tonnes of waste disorderly disposed of in the capital’s sewage canal next week. Sreng Meng Srun

PP gov’t to clean capital’s canal

The municipal Department of Public Works and Transport said on Thursday that it planned to remove tonnes of waste disorderly disposed of in the capital’s sewage canal next week.

The move followed widespread criticism of mass floating rubbish and the municipal authority’s alleged inaction.

Duong Chansarath, the head of the department’s drainage and sewage unit, rejected the criticism and said some households had disposed rubbish into the canal, which runs across the capital, despite repeated campaigns on proper waste management by relevant authorities.

He said his unit removes waste from the canal four times a year, with floating rubbish moved from the city centre to the canal’s end in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Trabek commune before being taken away using machinery according to set schedules.

“They criticised us but it’s some critics themselves who throw rubbish into the canals and make us clean the mess. We can’t do it every day because we have only around 10 workers. So what we do is we move the rubbish from the city centre to the canal’s end in Boeung Trabek."

“People need to stop throwing rubbish into the canal and instead put it at proper places as assigned by the authority. Rubbish collecting companies would not collect waste from the canal,” he said.

Chansarath said his unit had removed around 10,000 tonnes of rubbish disorderly thrown into the canal each year.

Soeung Saran, the executive director of housing rights NGO Sahmakum Teang Tnaut – which has previously conducted a study on waste management in Phnom Penh said waste management involves all stakeholders.

“They should not trade blame. It’s meant to be a shared responsibility. To be fair, the local communities should put out their waste properly while rubbish collecting companies need to provide clear schedules and assign exact places for people to put out their waste."

“As for the authority, they need to continue disseminating [waste management-related] information to ensure the public is well aware of the issue. Then they need to properly implement existing regulations,” he said.

According to the 2015 sub-decree on waste management, disorderly waste disposal could result in a fine of up to 200,000 riel ($50). Businesses including markets, factories and enterprises also face fines if found to have improperly disposed of industrial, solid and hazardous waste.

According to the EU, approximately 10 million plastic bags are used in Phnom Penh per day, while solid waste throughout the Kingdom exceeded 1.5 million tonnes in 2017.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia-Thailand rail reconnected after 45 years

    A railway reconnecting Cambodia and Thailand was officially inaugurated on Monday following a 45-year hiatus, with the two kingdoms’ prime ministers in attendance at the ceremony. On the occasion, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha travelled together from Thailand’s

  • Thousands attend CNRP-organised pro-democracy vigil in South Korea

    Thousands of supporters of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) on Saturday gathered in the South Korean city of Gwangju to hold a candlelight demonstration calling for the “liberation” of democracy in Cambodia. Yim Sinorn, a CNRP member in South Korea, said on

  • US Embassy: Chinese trade does not help like the West’s

    The US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Friday said relations between China and Cambodia did not create jobs or help industry when compared to the trade between the Kingdom and the US. “About 87 per cent of trade [with China] are Chinese imports, which do not

  • New airport study set for 2019

    A feasibility study on the construction of a new airport in the Kingdom will be launched later this year, according to a Ministry of Tourism spokesman on Monday. The plan was approved last week in a meeting held by the Ministry of Economy and Finance