Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP teacher accused of raping pupil

PP teacher accused of raping pupil

PP teacher accused of raping pupil

A man accused of repeatedly raping an underage girl in the capital’s Por Sen Chey district was sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Tuesday.

Dangkor police chief Chim Sitha said the 26-year-old suspect was a teacher and vice principal at an English language school, while the 15-year-old victim was his student.

“The suspect told the police that he had sexual relations with his student, who was a minor, but it was consensual. If he is proven to have committed a crime, he will face legal consequences,” he said.

A Kraing Pongro commune police officer, who asked not to be identified, said the victim’s family filed a complaint at the commune police station on Monday claiming that the suspect had sexually assaulted their daughter multiple times.

Police then started an investigation and summoned the suspect to the station for questioning.

Quoting the family’s complaint, he said the incident occurred between December 20-24 last year, when the suspect took the victim on a date.

The teacher then brought the student to a guesthouse in Por Sen Chey district’s Phleung Chheh Roteh commune where he allegedly raped her, the officer said.

“The police did not arrest the suspect immediately. We needed to speak with the senior officials first. Afterwards, they ordered us to summon the suspect for questioning. We can only detain the suspect without consulting with the senior officials if the crime happened recently,” he said.

The officer further noted that “the suspect came to the commune police station voluntarily and confessed that he had sex with the victim two times with her consent”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will