Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk again orders 10 buildings to be demolished

Preah Sihanouk again orders 10 buildings to be demolished

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The meeting was attended by Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction secretary of state Lao Tip Seiha, who is also chairman of the newly-formed Construction Quality Inspection Committee, and Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun. Supplied

Preah Sihanouk again orders 10 buildings to be demolished

The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration on Monday met 10 out of 14 owners of recently-constructed buildings that were deemed unsafe and to warn that it would take legal action if they refused to demolish them.

The administration previously issued three demolition orders to the 14 owners, but only four of them have torn down their buildings.

Preah Sihanouk provincial spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Wednesday that: “The remaining 10 [buildings] have not been removed, so we called the owners in on Monday to have them remove them immediately.

“We have also warned them that we will take action if they do not tear them down. We will take legal action, and enforce the court’s verdict. The owners will face further penalties.

“The provincial administration is resolute in its stance that no one should obstruct [the legal process]. These buildings – which are in violation of technical standards – must be removed,” said Phearum.

The meeting was attended by Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction secretary of state Lao Tip Seiha, who is also chairman of the newly-formed Construction Quality Inspection Committee, and Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun.

“Owners of the construction projects . . . don’t bother seeking further recourse. If you don’t tear them down, the authorities will take legal action,” Tip Seiha said.

Chamroeun said that following the demolition, the authorities and experts would assist the owners with designing new buildings, the technical work and the proper licences for a speedy reconstruction.

On August 27, at least 14 buildings in the province were ordered to be dismantled due to poor quality, while another 70 are currently undergoing technical examinations. These are among the 500 buildings that experts inspected following the fatal collapse in June which killed 28 and injured 26 people.

Cambodian National Research Organisation director Sok Sokhom welcomed the authority’s actions.

“Legal actions must be taken against poor-quality constructions. If the owners don’t dismantle them, they can cause problems,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does

  • Nine on Indonesia flight Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday confirmed nine more imported cases of Covid-19. The nine ‒ eight Cambodians and one Indonesian, aged 22 to 26 ‒ arrived in Cambodia on Thursday via a direct flight from Indonesia and are receiving treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hostipal in Phnom Penh.

  • Kingdom’s financial sector healthy

    Cambodia's financial sector remains on a sustainable growth path despite the Covid-19 pandemic squeezing crucial industries, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) governor Chea Chanto said. Tourism, garments and footwear have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 impact, he said, whereas the financial and agriculture sectors

  • Vietnam told to remove border tents

    Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophoan has ordered local authorities to prohibit the construction of buildings in areas bordering Cambodia and to report any irregularities immediately. Recently, Vietnamese officials removed another seven tents from the border area with Cambodia. His remarks were made on Wednesday afternoon