Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk authorities block 'illegal' coastal development



Preah Sihanouk authorities block 'illegal' coastal development

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Stung Hav district and Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities prevent machines from illegally filling land in the coastal O’Touk area, the district governor said on Saturday. SUPPLIED

Preah Sihanouk authorities block 'illegal' coastal development

Stung Hav district governor Chhay Sokunda has told The Post that district and provincial authorities prevented machines from illegally filling land in Preah Sihanouk's coastal O’Touk area on Saturday.

The owner had asked permission to repair the area, Sokunda said, but instead filled a 50m by 60m section of the beach with construction rubble to a depth of 3m.

Last week, the beach continued to be filled and provincial authorities ordered a stop to the activity, telling the owner to seek permission, Sokunda said.

He said while authorities were broadly in favour of development, developers needed to receive approval. Consequently, the authorities had ordered the owner to stop all land-filling activities and wait for permission before developing the land.

He said tractors and excavators were impounded at the district hall.

“We asked them to postpone activities and wait for permission. We confiscated machinery and equipment at the district hall and [instructed the owner] to wait for permission from the provincial authorities before developing the O’Touk area."

“We support development, but we thought there was only small work in progress in the area. We don’t want large-scale construction. [Developers] need to ask permission from provincial authorities if they want to build anything [of that nature],” he stressed.

Preah Sihanouk governor Yun Min said he strongly supported development in Stung Hav's O’Touk's port area. O’Touk is a potentially very import port as thousands of fishing boats dock there every day, he said.

“O’Touk is a place the provincial authorities plan to develop because thousands of fishing boats need to dock there. We are preparing plans and [ask that developers] seek permission,” he said.

Civil society groups and local authorities agreed that the development of O’ Touk port was not legal.

Min told The Post on Sunday: “Provincial authorities have received a request for development but are yet to give approval. Higher authorities have not given permission yet because coastal development is a sensitive issue.

“[Provincial authorities] need permission from the national committee for coastal development before we can approve the development."

“In general, the provincial administration supports the development of O’ Touk. Regarding the actual development and technical issues, we need to consult with experts."

“Technical matters mean that the provincial administration and ministry will discuss measures to prevent the development impacting the environment and the public interest. However, provincial authorities will urge for development very soon,” he said.

'Off limits'

Kem Hak, the chief of Village 1 in Stung Hav district's Tomnup Roloak commune and a community representative, told The Post on Sunday that O’Touk had a new owner who planned to develop the port in order to accommodate more boats.

“O’Touk can accommodate only small boats, while bigger ones need to dock in Thailand, so the new owner wants to [expand] O’Touk port. Some villagers in Stung Hav are happy with the plans because they are fishermen,” he said.

Hak said the new owner of O’Touk port was Cambodian and a Preah Sihanouk province resident.

“Development needs to comply with the regulations and experts will have to inspect it. We want development to comply with the law,” he said.

Cambodian National Research Organisation (CNRO) director Sok Sokhom told The Post on Sunday that he supported development, but he said that state-owned property was off limits.

“The development of O’Touk is being carried out by a private individual. They should not impact state-owned property. We have laws and guidelines for managing state property."

“On December 15, last year, the head of the Koh Kong authorities announced that any development that interfered with state-owned property would not be permitted."

"We need to take legal action against those who illegally fill land near the sea, violating state-owned property."

“I have asked all relevant parties, including national and sub-national authorities, to take legal action against offenders to prevent similar crimes in the future. Despite orders from the government, there are still people who violate the law,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants