Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk authorities to bulldoze illegal jetty



Preah Sihanouk authorities to bulldoze illegal jetty

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities demolish an illegal jetty being constructed along the Sihanoukville coastline. Supplied

Preah Sihanouk authorities to bulldoze illegal jetty

The Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities will demolish an illegal jetty being constructed along the Sihanoukville coastline in commune 1 after the owner refused an order to dismantle it.

Preah Sihanouk provincial hall spokesperson Or Saroeun told The Post on Tuesday that the authorities previously issued two orders to the owner, Tan Sokhom, before deciding to dismantle the construction for failure to comply.

“The measures [were ethically drafted] in clear official letters,” said Saroeun.

He said the authorities accepted suggestions from Sokhom but maintains a no-tolerance policy when it comes to non-compliance. If Sokhom refuses to obey the orders, the authorities will take action by demolishing the construction.

“If [Sokhom] fails to [comply], the authorities will [take action at] the expense of the owner,” he stressed.

Preah Sihanouk province’s management and construction development office head Ly Chetniyum issued an order to Sokhom on September 19 to dismantle the site in seven days. But he refused.

On October 16, Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min ordered a team of Sihanoukville officials to order Sokhom to dismantle the site himself and restore the coast to its original state.

Sihanoukville official Kong Sophanak said after Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities took action to dismantle other construction sites on October 24 under Min’s supervision, they gave Sokhom an additional five days to dismantle the site on his own, for fear of damaging his property.

However, Sokhom locked the doors on Tuesday and did not comply.

“[This morning], we went to inspect the site but saw that the owner had locked the door. There was nobody inside."

“We didn’t dare enter the place, as the owner was not there. We just observed from a distance, without dismantling anything. Based on our observations, we saw no change [at the site],” said Sophanak.

He said the team of Sihanoukville officials will ask the provincial governor’s permission to take further action.

Cambodian National Research Organisation president Sok Sokhom welcomed the demolishing of illegal jetty construction sites on the coast.

“I support the authorities taking action against illegal constructions that infringe on the state’s beach."

“[They should not just take action] at only one site. Abuse of the coastline, such as filling up the beach, doesn’t [occur] at only one site, it occurs at many locations,” he claimed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and