Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk authorities to go ahead with demolition plan

Preah Sihanouk authorities to go ahead with demolition plan

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
No solution is reached in the ongoing land dispute in Sihanoukville’s Commune I, as authorities continue to bulldoze the homes of some 100 families. SUpplied

Preah Sihanouk authorities to go ahead with demolition plan

The Preah Sihanouk provincial authority will continue with plans to bulldoze some 20 homes in Sihanoukville, after authorities failed to find a solution to an ongoing land dispute with villagers during a visit on Monday.

The homes, located in Village I, Commune I, have faced demolition since sub-decree 116 was issued in June 2016, as they are located in the Kbal Chhay protected area on the outskirts of the city.

Provincial authority spokesman Y Thearin said the authority visited the area on Monday morning, but did not reach a solution with the villagers and will continue to demarcate the land in accordance with the government sub-decree.

“We met with the villagers at the provincial hall. We are demarcating the land now, but it affects some villagers. We haven’t yet found a solution, they live illegally on protected land at Kbal Chhay,” he said.

Over 100 families have petitioned provincial governor Yun Min asking for a solution to the land issue. They claim the sub-decree instructed authorities to give part of the Kbal Chhay land to them, but authorities failed to do so.

Lim Veasna, the villager’s representative, said on Monday that the provincial authority’s actions are impacting the homes of more than 20 families who have been living there since 2014.

“The authority came without any letter, announcement or solution for the villagers. They just told us that they are following the sub-decree and will continue to bulldoze it.

“We are seeking a solution, but it is not effective because they have more power,” he said.

Provincial Environmental Department director Samut Sothearith said the provincial authority will continue to demarcate the land in accordance with the sub-decree.

“We continue to build the demarcation between the land of the villagers and Kbal Chhay [protected area], which is protected by a sub-decree. We need to build the demarcation so that it is clear what is villagers’ land and what is the state’s,” he said.

Cambodian National Research Organisation director Sok Sokhom supported the authority’s actions, claiming that they had already “cut off land for the villagers”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted

  • Cambodia seeks probe into 'false reports' on Hun Sen's alleged Cypriot passport

    Minister of Justice Koeut Rith on September 6 wrote a letter to his Cypriot counterpart Stephie Dracos requesting cooperation in investigating and providing the truth in relation to the "exaggerative and false allegations" that Prime Minister Hun Sen holds a Cypriot passport. In his letter, the