Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk authorities suspend Chinese project on Otres Beach



Preah Sihanouk authorities suspend Chinese project on Otres Beach

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities have ordered that construction work by a Chinese company encroaching on Sihanoukville’s Otres Beach be temporarily suspended. Photo supplied

Preah Sihanouk authorities suspend Chinese project on Otres Beach

The Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities have ordered that construction work by a Chinese company encroaching on Sihanoukville’s Otres Beach be temporarily suspended.

Meanwhile, a civil society organisation official noted that many large projects had encroached on the city’s natural coastal areas.

Several pictures were shared on social media over the last few days showing that a Chinese company had erected a fence on the beach which protruded into the sea.

The company was apparently laying the foundation of a construction site in Village 6 in Mittapheap district’s Commune IV.

Sihanoukville governor Y Sokleng said on Tuesday that he was not aware of the project and referred questions to Provincial Department of Land Management director Cheng Srong. However, Srong could not be reached for comment.

Provincial Department of Environment director Samuth Sothearith was also unaware of the case but said he would launch an investigation to ascertain whether the construction site had received authorisation.

“Let me check the work first. Right now I’m at a pagoda,” he said.

Commune IV chief Seng Ngim said he had seen the pictures on social media but had not yet inspected the site. Instead, he had instructed Village 6 chief Chea Voeng to do so. “I don’t know yet what the situation is because Voeng hasn’t reported back as yet,” he said.

Voeng said he and some provincial hall officials had inspected the beach construction site last week. After speaking to the project owner and checking some documents, he said, it was established that the work had been authorised at the national level.

While he could not remember the name of the company, he said it had erected a 60m fence on the beach to set up a dock for tourist boats.

The provincial hall, he said, had decided to temporarily suspend the project because it had not asked for permission to proceed.

“The construction project lacks the necessary documentation, so the provincial hall and city officials stopped the work,” Voeng said.

Provincial governor Kouch Chamroeun declined to comment, referring questions to the province’s spokesman, but provincial hall spokesman Kheang Phearum could not be reached.

Cheap Sotheary, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said it was not only Otres Beach that had been encroached on by private companies, but all beaches in the province.

International large-scale projects investing in coastal areas are subject to national approval, she said, and neither the government nor provincial authorities had made any public announcement in advance.

“I have never supported construction on the beach. In the past, the authorities have ordered people to dismantle houses and businesses on the beach because of the environmental impact.

“I was very pleased about that because I believe all coastal areas should be designated as public parks catering to tourists.

“But my happiness was short-lived. When Chinese investment companies came in, we saw that the government had handed over public coastal areas to them, and they have constructed a lot of international-size projects,” Sotheary said.

She said high-rise buildings have been constructed in most coastal areas. “They are no longer the pleasant natural beaches to attract tourists that they used to be,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could