Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban



Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities set up roadblock to check on people travelling to Preah Sihanouk province. Facebook

Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods.

The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not be allowed into the province.

The provincial administration on March 4 said there were people infected with Covid-19 living and working in the province as a result of the February 20 community transmission.

The ban is to allow authorities to control people infected with the novel coronavirus and others who may have been exposed.

A quarantine centre has yet to be established.

Hun Sen said in a voice message on the night of March 3 that provincial authorities are reviewing emergency action plans due to the increasing number of people infected with the virus.

He said: “The plan is to stop traffic from Preah Sihanouk province entering other provinces; trying to reduce the number of people travelling to prevent the spread to other provinces. Therefore, people are asked to stay at home.”

Hun Sen added that the second plan was to vaccinate people under 59 with the Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine and for people from the age of 60 with AstraZeneca. The Ministry of Health has already transported both vaccines to the province on March 4.

Hun Sen spoke at a press conference at Calmette Hospital on March 4, calling on the people in the province to stay indoors and not to travel unless necessary.

“We cannot close Preah Sihanouk province because it is a transport hub, but we need to be careful. I call on people not to travel to the province. And people in the province, don’t travel to other places, because it could transmit the virus along National Road 4 to Kep and Kampot province. Please remain where you are,” he said.

Hun Sen added that in Phnom Penh, although the situation is under control, people should still stay indoors if there is no reason to go out. The number of people in treatment jumped to more than 400 in a short period following the recent community outbreak.

“This disease is highly contagious and requires people to be careful, so that authorities are able to control and then stop the outbreak. We don’t want a nationwide-wide shutdown, but call on the people in Phnom Penh, Kandal and Preah Sihanouk provinces to avoid travel,” he said.

The prime minister said it remained to be seen whether the February 20 community event would end before the Khmer New Year in April, voicing concern over the throngs of migrant workers who will return home from Thailand over the holiday.

From December, around 40,000 migrant workers have crossed into Cambodia from Thailand, with 15,000 still in quarantine.

According to the Ministry of Health, as of March 4, Cambodia recorded 909 Covid-19 patients, 484 had been treated and 425 are hospitalised.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants