Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk puts its foot down over land dispute



Preah Sihanouk puts its foot down over land dispute

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Nha Viseth, a Military Police official who was allegedly targeted by land clearing suspects now on the run, lies in hospital last month. Photo supplied

Preah Sihanouk puts its foot down over land dispute

Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities threatened legal action against three people and their accomplices who allegedly provoked people to illegally clear and sell public state land in the 2002 Sanctuary located in Bet Traing commune’s Korki village in Prey Nub district.

In a provincial administration announcement issued on Tuesday and obtained by The Post on Wednesday, provincial governor Yun Min also told the three and their accomplices to immediately put an end to their alleged provocations.

They were also told to dismantle buildings located in the 2002 Sanctuary before August 5. If they failed to do so, the governor is quoted as saying that authorities will take legal measures and not be responsible for any damage to property and belongings, adding this was their final warning.

“Our authorities have banned and informed the three people – Nhork Kemkong, Cheam Chun and Moeung Sreytouch – and their accomplices to stop persuading people to clear and sell the public state land illegally in the above location.

“We have said this many times, but this group keeps violating the law, and have forged public documents,” Min said.

Police officials said they are seeking to arrest the three, and others involved in land clearing in connection with an alleged failed plot to murder a senior provincial Military Police officer in June.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants