Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear villagers petition interior ministry over eight-year land dispute




Preah Vihear villagers petition interior ministry over eight-year land dispute

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers submitted a complaint against four representatives for selling their land. Heng Chivoan

Preah Vihear villagers petition interior ministry over eight-year land dispute

Some 40 people representing 180 families from Kantuot commune in Preah Vihear province’s Choam Ksan district on Wednesday gathered at the Ministry of Interior to submit their complaint seeking intervention in a long-standing land dispute.

The 180 families have been locked in an eight-year dispute with the National Preah Vihear Authority and previously chose four other villagers to represent them in their fight for the land.

Their complaint accused the four of betraying them when the government allocated 490m by 1,000m of land and divided it into small plots for the families on January 22.

They said before the government granted the land, the four had already removed the 100 families from the list of beneficiaries, leaving them landless.

Nhem Sarath, one of the protesting villagers, told The Post on Wednesday that besides the Ministry of Interior, they had also lodged their complaints to the Anti-Corruption Unit and Prime Minister Hun Sen’s cabinet.

He identified the four former representatives as Phan Thoeun, Sat Nheb, Kin Chantha and Chan Sophea.

“We trusted them, but they betrayed us. We have initially sought a solution from the local authorities, but they said it was beyond their jurisdiction. Then we turned to the provincial authorities, but police wanted to arrest us. So we have no choice but to come here [for a solution],” he said.

Sarath said only 80 of the 180 families had received plots from the government. He alleged the four had colluded in selling the remaining plots for their benefit.

Another protester, Vong Saron said: “Only 80 families received the 10m by 100m plot. The remaining 100 families did not receive anything because their names had been removed by the four representatives before the government distributed the land.

“I had always participated in previous protests everywhere with them, but my name is not on the list of beneficiaries. So we filed a complaint against their corrupt practice,” he said.

Saron said an unidentified official at the Ministry of Interior received their petition and promised to respond.

Thoeun, one of the four accused, rejected the allegation on Wednesday. He claimed the protesting families had already received land but sold it to others for between $3,000 and $5,000.

“What they said is not true. All of them had already received land. Some of them protested because they were given land in undesirable locations. Each plot of land was distributed to the families through a lottery,” he said.

Lor Chan, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said he had not received a detailed report about the case and will look into it.

“The authority should find a solution for them instead of letting them complain to national-level authorities like that because this is a small issue,” he said.

In their previous complaint to relevant institutions, the villagers also accused Suos Yara, a lawmaker from the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, and Chuch Phoeun, the National Preah Vihear Authority chairman, of colluding with provincial authorities in forcefully evicting them from their land in January 2012.

The officials, according to the complaint, had ordered soldiers to destroy houses, schools, medical facilities and pagodas, claiming they were situated in the Preah Vihear Temple preservation zone.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia