Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Premier experiencing Rainsy selfie remorse

Premier experiencing Rainsy selfie remorse

CNRP leader Sam Rainsy (left) and Prime Minster Hun Sen pose for a photo in July during dinner in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied
CNRP leader Sam Rainsy (left) and Prime Minster Hun Sen pose for a photo in July during dinner in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied

Premier experiencing Rainsy selfie remorse

Prime Minister Hun Sen has joined the ranks of Facebook users with misgivings about photos they’ve uploaded into the net’s eternal ether, saying he regrets his “selfie” with opposition leader Sam Rainsy last year.

The longtime rivals took the casual snap during a family dinner at the Hotel Cambodiana in July.

At the time, the pair maintained that their truce, dubbed the “culture of dialogue”, had ended years of combative and divisive politics.

However, in November, after months of rising political tensions, Rainsy again fled into self-imposed exile after being hit with charges, widely considered politically motivated.

“Previously, I took a selfie with a political partner, it appeared on the surface that things were very sweet between us but, in fact, the selfie concealed dishonesty that gives me regrets until this day,” he posted yesterday on Facebook.

In the same post, however, the premier, who has become a prolific user of Facebook in recent months, goes on to laud the humble selfie.

“Recently, I have tried selfies with youth, students, civil servants and people who I have seen, and have received respect and honesty from the hearts of brothers and sisters, children and nephews,” he wrote.

“I am so excited at having been provided love, friendship, hope and comfort through the selfies that I have with compatriots and the lovely youth.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will