Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Premier finally speaks out on Chhouk Bandith



Premier finally speaks out on Chhouk Bandith

Premier finally speaks out on Chhouk Bandith

Breaking his long silence on the case, Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday called on police to bring to justice the former Bavet town governor and convicted gunman Chhouk Bandith.

“In the case of Chhouk Bandith, if police do not arrest him, they are wrong,” he said. “There is a red notice from Interpol. There must be arrests.”

Hun Sen’s comments came in response to the issuance of the Interpol red notice in March, and after Bandith’s three victims – garment workers whom he shot in front of hundreds of witnesses during a protest – petitioned parliament last week.

Sar Chantha, the former deputy police chief of Bavet town, was jailed in May in connection with the shooting at the Kaoway Sports factory in the Svay Rieng border town.

Bandith was sentenced to 18 months in prison in June 2013, but remains in hiding.

Kirt Chantharith, deputy National Police chief, insisted in a post on the force’s website last week that the police had “never ignored” Bandith’s conviction.

But victim Nuth Sakhorn yesterday said that while the prime minister’s comments were a positive sign, she doubted that it would signal an end to impunity for Bandith.

“I’m happy to hear the prime minister’s words for the first time, because when he speaks, the police work,” she said.

“But Bandith has not yet been arrested, and we don’t hold out hope that justice will prevail.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through