Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Premier hits oil, mulls next move



Premier hits oil, mulls next move

Premier hits oil, mulls next move

T HE consortium led by Premier Oil Camboya will consider its next move around the end of November after striking oil and gas with its first exploratory well in Cambodia's offshore Block 4.

Representatives from the consortium's three equal partners, British-owned Premier, Australian outfit Ampolex and the Japanese company Idemitsu, are to meet in Singapore to plot a strategy.

They will decide whether to opt for a 2 or 3-d seismic survey and what area to conduct it in within the block, which covers an area of more than 30,000 square km 150 km soutwest of Sihanoukville.

The oil executives should be encouraged by the strike, the third in four test wells so far drilled off Cambodia's shores. Currently more work is being carried out evaluating the find prior to the Singapore meeting.

Premier said in a press release that the well achieved a maximum flow of 1,180 barrels per day (bpd) and 1.3 million cubic feet of gas per day, and reached a total depth of 3,867 meters.

The flow rate is much better than earlier strikes made by Enterprise oil, 180 bpd or Campex, 500 bpd, the other two operators currently exploring offshore of Cambodia.

However an industry source said no accurate measure of the commerciality of strike can be made from a test well, which can inhibit the flow rate.

The source pointed out that the size of reserves have to be assessed in addition to flow rates to decide if a find is worth exploiting commercially.

The oil, measuring 42 on the American Petroleum Institute scale is said to be typical of southeast Asian crude with a fairly high wax content.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and