Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Premier seeks KRT aid from US

Premier seeks KRT aid from US

Premier seeks KRT aid from US

With just days until closing arguments at the Khmer Rouge tribunal are slated to begin, Prime Minister Hun Sen made a direct request to US Secretary of State John Kerry for increased funding to the cash-strapped court, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said yesterday.

Speaking to reporters at Phnom Penh International Airport, Secretary of State Kao Kim Hourn said the premier also approached UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key with similar requests in meetings on the sidelines of this month’s ASEAN summit in Brunei, however received no firm commitments.

“Hun Sen has requested to the US [secretary of state] about the financial support for the Khmer Rouge tribunal, and the US [secretary of state] said he would consider this request,” Kim Hourn said.

Meanwhile, national-side staffers at the court have gone without pay again this month, this time directly on the heels of an emergency loan from the UN last month that ended a weeks-long strike by paying most workers their back salaries for June, July and August.

However, court spokesman Neth Pheaktra expressed optimism that a solution could be found before workers resort once again to strikes.

“This is an effort for both sides to support the ECCC,” Pheaktra said of the meeting between Ban and Hun Sen. “We strongly believe that . . . talks between Samdech Hun Sen and the secretary-general will find a solution to the financial problems of the national side of the court.”

According to one national side staffer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, given the lack of results “it is obviously insane to keep striking time and again”, but staying at the court would be little better.

“If the situation surrounding the pay does not improve in due course, it is most likely that some interpreters will tender their resignation and start looking for new, more secure jobs,” he added. “It appears to them that future job prospects at the court have become less favourable and less secure.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STUART WHITE AND JOE FREEMAN

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • ‘Dire consequences’ from sanctions, warns AmCham

    American businesspeople in Cambodia have warned that any sanction against the Kingdom would have “dire consequences” that could push Cambodia even further into the arms of China. In a letter to US senators and representatives dated Monday, the American Chamber of Commerce Cambodia (AmCham) said