Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Press clubs denounce attack on journalists

Press clubs denounce attack on journalists

A police officer hits a man at a rally in Phnom Penh yesterday moments before a local journalist covering the event was attacked.
A police officer hits a man at a rally in Phnom Penh yesterday moments before a local journalist covering the event was attacked. HENG VITCHET

Press clubs denounce attack on journalists

Press freedom groups have condemned a violent attack on two reporters by security guards at a rally in Phnom Penh yesterday.

Voice of Democracy (VOD) journalist Khut Sokun was “hit and kicked” while covering a rally by Boeung Kak activists at City Hall, while guards attempted to seize and destroy VOD photographer Heng Vitchet’s camera equipment, according to a statement released by the Cambodian Centre for Independent Media, which runs VOD.

According to the statement, the pair was interviewing activists when they were confronted by about five guards who accused them of working for opposition parties and tried to destroy their gear.

Forced away from the area, the reporters regrouped at the nearby University of Health to resume their interviews but were followed by guards, who allegedly assaulted Sokun, an amputee, CCIM stated.

Footage of the attack, captured by a witness, was seized and destroyed by guards, the statement added.

In the statement, also endorsed by Reporters Without Borders and the Southeast Asian Press Alliance, CCIM executive director Pa Nguon Teang slammed the guards’ behaviour and called for them to face disciplinary action.

“I urge the government to use its legitimate powers to ensure that journalists are protected from threats and violence, to respect freedom of the press, and to bring an end to impunity for those who commit these crimes against journalists,” Teang said.

In May last year, amid protests, Information Minister Khieu Kanharith pledged action to stop journalists from being targeted by security forces.

Separately yesterday, a group of reporters in Ratanakkiri were “detained” for about 20 minutes by the province’s Forestry Administration director Vong Sokserey, reportedly upset with their coverage of illegal logging.

The reporters from Hang Meas TV, Apsara ANN and SEA TV were at the Forestry Administration’s compound photographing a van used to transport timber that had been seized by authorities when they found the gate behind them locked.

Sokserey yesterday said the gate was locked because he wanted to meet journalists in person, advise them to make their reports accurate and ask that they report any forest crimes to authorities.

“Some just reported it without asking comments from us, so they did not get accurate information and [their informant] is contradicting the facts when the story is published,” he said.

He then denied he had detained anyone, but allowed that a few journalists “escaped” through a side gate.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,