Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Previously wanted man gets recruitment licence



Previously wanted man gets recruitment licence

Sam Pisey (centre, red shirt) celebrates the opening of recruitment agency 4 Tigers Labour Supply Co, Ltd in January. Pisey's previous recruitment agency was shut down in 2011 after reports of abuse.  Facebook
Sam Pisey (centre, red shirt) celebrates the opening of recruitment agency 4 Tigers Labour Supply Co, Ltd in January. Pisey's previous recruitment agency was shut down in 2011 after reports of abuse. Facebook

Previously wanted man gets recruitment licence

The Labour Ministry this week issued a licence to send Cambodian workers abroad to a company owned by Sam Pisey, who was previously wanted for arrest in a case involving underage workers – a decision criticised by the government’s own anti-human trafficking committee.

4 Tigers Labour Supply Co Ltd, owned by Pisey, was one of four agencies licensed to send workers to Saudi Arabia, according to a list issued by the Labour Ministry earlier this week that included a total of 93 firms authorised to send workers overseas.

Pisey previously served as the director of T&P Co Ltd until 2011, when the firm – then the country’s second-largest recruitment agency – was suspended after a woman died at one of its training centres, another woman broke her ankle trying to jump out of a window in an alleged escape attempt, and 26 underage girls were found at a provincial maid training facility.

Authorities suspended Pisey’s company and issued a warrant for his arrest, but he fled the country to evade capture. A year later, three family members of maids recruited by T&P lodged complaints after one of their relatives disappeared in Malaysia, and two others were allegedly beaten and stripped naked by their employers.

Chou Bun Eng, the deputy director of the government’s National Committee of Counter Trafficking and a secretary of state at the Ministry of Interior, called on the Labour Ministry to explain why Pisey was granted a licence to open new recruitment agencies.

“Since it was reported that the company used to have a problem, what is the reason that they approved this company for operation? I also want to know,” she said. “In my opinion, if that company used to have a problem already, they should not be allowed to operate again.”

Pisey could not be reached yesterday. His Facebook page shows pictures of him celebrating the opening of his new firm, 4 Tigers, and also lists him as the CEO of 168 Manpower Supply Co.

168 Manpower Supply was registered in 2015 and is currently licensed to send workers to Thailand, Malaysia, Japan and Singapore.

In 2014, 50 migrant workers accused the company of promising them employment in Thailand in exchange for $200, but then never providing the jobs.

Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour could not be reached on Thursday. An Bunhak, the president of the Association of Cambodian Recruitment Agencies, declined to comment because he was unable to get in touch with Pisey.

“I want to know about the story before [I] can say something to you,” Bunhak said in a message.

According to the Labour Ministry’s new list, there are now nearly twice as many agencies licensed to send workers abroad than in 2014, when just 49 companies had permission.

Despite the ministry’s attempt to crack down on unlicensed recruitment agencies, labour rights advocates have said that fraud and exploitation continue to plague the sector.

Moeun Tola, director of labour rights group Central, said it was “quite sad” that Pisey was permitted to open new companies and send workers abroad.

“It’s quite a bad precedent and motivates companies to continue violating laws, regulations and human rights,” Tola said. “We should promote best practice businesses and punish, effectively, the bad or dirty businesses.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and