Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prey Veng prison staff face penalty over extortion via ‘sext’



Prey Veng prison staff face penalty over extortion via ‘sext’

Inmate Yem Bros, 43, photographed after his re-arrest in Prey Veng for allegedly using sexually compromising materials to extort money from victims. Fresh News
Inmate Yem Bros, 43, photographed after his re-arrest in Prey Veng for allegedly using sexually compromising materials to extort money from victims. Fresh News

Prey Veng prison staff face penalty over extortion via ‘sext’

Prey Veng prison staff accused of helping an inmate extort a woman who sent him sexually explicit videos online may be “transferred” or “stripped of their rank”, an official said yesterday.

A spokesman for the General Department of Prisons, San Keo, said that though no action had been approved yet, a report about the case had suggested the measures for those accused of involvement, who include a deputy prison chief.

The case came to light three weeks ago after a woman from Kandal province filed a complaint with police. The victim alleged she handed over $520 to inmate Yem Bros after he threatened to publish naked videos she had sent. Police further claimed Bros was given access to phones and a computer, and was helped in collecting the payments by guards at the prison.

The case was raised on Friday at a semiannual meeting of chief wardens from across the country, where the chief of the General Department of Prisons, Chan Kim Seng, criticised Prey Veng Provincial Prison Director Chuon Sarim, Keo said.

“He said a lot about the case in Prey Veng prison and took it as an example,” Keo said. “He said there were repeated cases in this prison and he asked the chief to explain the case.”

Speaking last week, Sarim blamed “loopholes” for the case, and said guards implicated were still working. The director of operations at the Prisons Department, Be Tea Leng, yesterday said guards at the facility were too close to inmates.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said