Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prime minster's daughter lashes out at journalist over tryst claims

Prime minster's daughter lashes out at journalist over tryst claims

Prime minster's daughter lashes out at journalist over tryst claims

3-story-2.jpg
3-story-2.jpg

HENG CHIVOAN

Hun Mana, director of Bayon TV and Radio and daughter of the PM seen in a file photo.

HUN Mana, the daughter of Prime Minster Hun Sen and the director general

of Bayon Radio and Television, lashed out at a journalist with Beauty

magazine in a letter submitted to Minister of Information Khieu

Kanharith, accusing the writer of defamation and asking the minister to

take action.

The letter, dated last Thursday, accused San Bunthoeurn of

defamation stemming from a story he published in the August 15-31 issue

of his publication. In the story, he described an alleged love triangle

between Bayon programme manager Tit Thavarith, actress Sim Solika and a

second man, Por Sam Oeun.

The letter did not detail the substance of the defamation but said

the claims made were untrue and were intended merely to damage the

honour and popularity of Bayon. It added that San Bunthoeurn had tried

to extort money from actors and high-level staff at the station and had

previously tried to get a job there.

San Bunthoeurn had been given permission to interview Bayon staff

members but he misled them about the subject of the story he was

writing and later demanded US$3,000 from Tit Thavarith to stop the

article from running, the letter claimed.

Hun Mana could not be reached for comment on Tuesday. Bayon's

deputy director general, Rith Chetra, told the Post he knew nothing

about the matter and that it has nothing to do with him or with the

station.

San Bunthoeurn defended his story against criticisms raised in the

letter. "I based it on anonymously sourced comments of staff and

actors," he said. He added that he had not asked for money, but said

Tit Thavarith tried to stop publication of the story. Khieu Kanharith

said he would not pursue legal action against the magazine as it was a

private matter.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman