Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Private establishments told to hold high school exams



Private establishments told to hold high school exams

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Students take Grade 12 exams at Preah Sisowath High School in Phnom Penh last year. Post staff

Private establishments told to hold high school exams

Minister of Education, Youth and Sport Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday ordered private educational establishments to hold their high school diploma examinations for the 2019-2020 school year on August 17 and 18.

If the schools are unable to hold the examinations themselves, private students will take the examinations with their public school counterparts at an undetermined date.

In a letter, he said all private educational establishments had to request high school diploma examinations from the ministry through the education departments in the capital and provinces by this month for review and recognition.

Private schools must also attach the candidates’ names with the request.

“In case any private educational establishments are unable to hold examinations on their own, they have to wait and join examinations with students of public educational establishments,” he said.

Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha confirmed on Thursday that private education establishments can hold their tests on August 17 and 18.

“The ministry and the Department of Education, Youth and Sport will observe examinations when necessary to guarantee examination quality.

“But the ministry maintains its right to change the high school diploma examination dates at private education establishments again if necessary,” he said.

Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association (Cita) president Ouk Chhayavy said the ministry should not have advised private educational establishments to hold their examinations ahead of public schools because this places more value on private education.

“I don’t agree with allowing private educational establishments to hold the examinations now because every year the private education establishments have to take the examinations at the same time public education establishments take theirs,” she said.

She said if the examinations take place, there will be little transparency as Covid-19 will make them less closely monitored.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting