Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Probes of multiple-homicides produce mixed results

Probes of multiple-homicides produce mixed results

Probes of multiple-homicides produce mixed results

KANDAL provincial police said yesterday that they did not expect to immediately arrest the perpetrators of a triple murder that took place in Takhmao town over the weekend. The killings brought to four the total number of multiple homicides in as many months, but only one of those cases has resulted in an arrest.

Provincial police described the murder of three women, who were found shot dead on Saturday morning, as a “priority” case, but declined to provide details of ongoing investigations.

Iv Chamroeun, provincial police chief, said police were “burning our hands and legs ... in order to apprehend the murderers”, but were not expecting the case to be solved soon.

“We cannot say when they will be arrested, as it is a murder crime that could possibly take a long time [to investigate],” he said.

Investigations of three other multiple murder cases in recent months have achieved mixed results.

No arrests were made after a 50-year-old Royal Cambodian Armed Forces soldier allegedly opened fire on residents of Kroch Chhmar district in Kampong Cham province, killing four in July, an official said yesterday.

Lay Nguon, district police chief, said that investigations were “ongoing to apprehend the perpetrator, Sles Yeb, who has remained at large”.

Meanwhile, Am Sam Ath, a technical supervisor for rights group Licadho, said a police officer accused of killing two people and injuring three with an AK-47 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district in July had been arrested and charged with premediated murder.

He said Vong Saneath was being held in pretrial detention, and that a trial date had not been set.

“Normally it would take at least 18 months to investigate a felony, and the trial date is set after the completion of the investigation,” he said.

In August, a 35-year-old man who allegedly murdered five family members and injured three others in Svay Rieng province also took his own life.

Khieu Sopheak, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said multiple-murder cases were not necessarily harder to solve than single-murder cases. “It depends on the tracks left behind by the perpetrator,” he said. “When they kill, if they leave a track, it is very easy for us.”

He said that police were investigating Saturday’s triple-murder, but that the case was proving difficult because the killers had not left many clues.
“So far we don’t have any tracks,” he said.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY BROOKE LEWIS

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman