Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutors appeal release of Ieng Thirith

Prosecutors appeal release of Ieng Thirith

Prosecutors appeal release of Ieng Thirith

111118_03
Former Khmer Rouge social action minister Ieng Thirith listens during a hearing at the Khmer Rouge tribunal on the outskirts of Phnom Penh in June. Photo by: Eccc/Pool

Court prosecutors today appealed the Khmer Rouge Trial Chamber’s decision to unconditionally release Ieng Thirith, court sources told the Post.

British prosecutor Andrew Cayley and his Cambodian counterpart Chea Leang had 24 hours to decide whether they would appeal the Trial Chamber’s decision on Ieng Thirith’s fitness to stand trial and unconditional release, which was released yesterday evening.

The Trial Chamber determined to unconditionally release Ieng Thirith as there was “no prospect” of her being fit to stand trial and the national and international judges of the chamber could not agree on the likelihood of her dementia improving. As a result of the disagreement, the chamber ruled in favour of Ieng Thirith’s fair trial rights and ordered her unconditional release.

The Supreme Court Chamber has 48 hours to consider the appeal and issue a final decision on whether Ieng Thirith will be unconditionally released from the tribunal detention facility where she has been detained since her arrest in November 2007.

Yesterday’s Trial Chamber decision came after months of deliberations as to whether former Khmer Rouge Social Action Minister Ieng Thirith had the mental capacity to stand trial in Case 002.

Today, the Trial Chamber also announced a delay in the hearing of evidence in Case 002. Opening statements begin Monday and the chamber was due to begin hearing evidence in the first trial in Case 002 a week later on Monday, November 28. However, without offering explanation, the Chamber has decided it will not hear evidence until the week beginning December 5, leaving just two weeks in which evidence will be heard before the tribunal adjourns for nearly a month over the Christmas period.

Earlier this year, international pressure was mounting on the tribunal to begin Case 002 in 2011.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • NOCC to contest petanque, tennis axe

    The National Olympic Committee of Cambodia will lobby hard over the next few weeks for the inclusion of the Kingdom’s most productive medal-earning sport, petanque, along with vovinam and tennis after the disciplines were left out of the initial list of 30 preferred sports for