Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protest erupts after workers docked pay for election day

Protest erupts after workers docked pay for election day

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Svay Rieng province workers assemble at a protest this week. Photo supplied

Protest erupts after workers docked pay for election day

About 1,400 factory workers in Kong Deang Reay commune took to the streets to protest against their employer for deducting two days of wages after they had gone on leave to cast their votes during the recent national elections.

The workers, from a light manufacturing factory located in Kong Deang Reay commune Svay Teab district Svay Rieng province, have been protesting since Tuesday after payslips showed their salaries were deducted.

The workers’ payslips are given in advance and on August 10 of each month they receive their wages.

Provincial Labour Department director Has Bunthy said workers from Sheng Yao Enterprise Co Ltd, started to protest after hearing the factory will deduct their salaries.

“The deduction has not taken place. The [Labour] ministry has instructed the factory to follow the law,” he said.

The striking workers said those hired on a contract basis were affected by the wage cut move, but those on regular employment will receive their wages as usual.

Workers’ representative Vin Heng, 25, said the primary reason for their protest was because they feared the factory’s management will deduct their wages for going on leave to vote on July 29.

“As an ordinary staff, my wages were not deducted but those who are on contracts had two days wages deducted. So when the contract staff decided to protest, we joined them as an act of solidarity,” he said.

A 22-year-old worker, who declined to be named, said she had been working in the factory for the last three months as a contract staff and fears losing her wages.

“I don’t know exactly how much of our wages will be deducted but from the pay slip, we learnt that there will be a deduction, that is why we are protesting.

“We will know the exact amount when we receive our wages on August 10th,” she said.

Besides, the wage cut, workers are also confronted with other labour issues which the department is trying to resolve, said Bunthy.

“Workers are demanding that the factory pay staff who go for their maternity check-up. They also want a six months contract instead of three months. The factory did not agree to those demands and we will discuss the matter with the management.

“The workers are also asking to be paid while they are protesting. I don’t know whether the company will agree to this. We are communicating with the workers and the factory owner to settle the issues,” said Bunthy.

The workers are also asking the management to relax the rules for applying for leave, especially when they have valid reasons, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures

  • More than 10,000 workers suspended

    More than 10,000 workers at 18 factories in Svay Rieng province have been suspended because of Covid-19, said provincial deputy governor Ros Pharith. Home to 11 special economic zones, Pharith said Svay Rieng has not been spared as the pandemic takes a toll on the global economy. “There

  • Oz lauds Kingdom’s passage of money laundering laws

    In a press release published by the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh on Monday, the country applauded Cambodia’s stance on transnational crimes as well as its promulgation of an anti-money laundering law and a law on combating proliferation financing. The praise came after King

  • Lotus face masks designed to cover globe

    A French designer in Cambodia has produced ecological face masks from lotus fibre to supply local and international markets with an eye on preserving ancestral techniques and supporting Cambodian women in rural communities. During a trip to Asia, Awen Delaval, an eco-friendly fashion designer, was

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Planning ministry hands out cash to 420,000 poor families in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Planning has identified 20,000 more poor families in the country, bringing the total to over 580,000, while over 420,000 of them have received the government’s cash assistance. In the meantime, many social security cards from families not deemed to be poor have been revoked.

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting