Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protesters block road to ministry

Protesters block road to ministry

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Around 300 people representing hundreds of families in Koh Kong province protested at the Ministry of Land Management yesterday. Sreng Meng Srun

Protesters block road to ministry

Around 300 people representing hundreds of families in Koh Kong province, who were evicted from their homes to make way for a sugar company owned by businessman and CPP Senator Ly Yong Phat, blocked the road that leads to the Ministry of Land Management on Thursday to protest the ministry’s inaction in resolving the decade-long conflict.

The villagers were requesting a similar deal as was reached in March, when 375 families were given compensation packages, including cash and land allocations, after ending their longstanding land disputes with Yong Phat’s Koh Kong Sugar and Koh Kong Plantation.

Tith Pheng, a representative of 300 families living in Sre Ambil district’s Dong Paeng commune, said the group decided to travel to the Ministry of Land Management to check if there was a response to a petition they delivered last week.

There was no reply, so they decided to block the road for around an hour to force officials to address them.

During the blockade, the ministry spoke with 10 representatives, and told them that the ministry was unable to resolve the dispute for them.

“The Ministry of Land Management told us the ministry has no authority to resolve this case, and it has created a committee made up of Koh Kong provincial officials to deal with us directly,” Pheng said.

“So they told us to return home to work out a solution with provincial authorities. But we’re losing faith. If the ministry can’t work this out, we have no reason to believe a provincial committee can.”

Tep Thun, Land Management Ministry deputy secretary of state, told those at the meeting that he had created a joint committee, led by the provincial governor, to resolve this issue by the end of the month.

Suon Vannat, 50, an affected villager, said he travelled to the capital in the hope of being offered a similar deal to the one the other group of families reached in March.

“The ministry permitted 10 of us to discuss the issue with them, but the sides found no common ground. We raised the possibility of getting the compensation as a group led by Phav Nherng,” Vannat said, referring to the representative of a group of villagers also in a land dispute with Yong Phat.

“We asked for a compensation package of 3 hectares and $2,500, but the ministry refused to help and told us to return home.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Tragedy as four lions devour teenager in Pakistan safari park

    In a horrifying incident at an animal park in the Pakistani city of Lahore, four lions killed a 17-year-old grass reaper. However, how Muhammad Bilal Hussain managed to get near the lions was yet to be ascertained. Safari officials said Hussain climbed a 3.7m high

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • Gloom hits Siem Reap tourism

    As the Kingdom’s overall tourism sector continued to grow last year, industry insiders in Siem Reap have expressed their deep concerns, citing a sharp drop in Chinese arrivals to the province beginning late last month. Cambodia earned $4.91 billion in international tourism revenue last year,

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.