Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protests planned for Preah Vihear sugar plant’s opening

Protests planned for Preah Vihear sugar plant’s opening

Residents of Preah Vihear's Brame commune gather to commemorate International Peasants' Day yesterday. Photo supplied
Residents of Preah Vihear's Brame commune gather to commemorate International Peasants' Day yesterday. Photo supplied

Protests planned for Preah Vihear sugar plant’s opening

Preah Vihear’s deputy governor has vowed not to let protesters near Prime Minister Hun Sen as he cuts the ribbon on a $360 million sugar mill in Tbeng Meanchey district today.

The mill – one of the largest in Asia – is owned by Chinese company Rui Feng (Cambodia) International, which has been involved in a series of land disputes with local villagers since it arrived in the country in 2012.

Together, Rui Feng and its four sister firms have land concessions covering 40,000 hectares in Preah Vihear, circumventing law that prohibits a single company from holding more than 10,000 hectares in concessions.

Representatives of more than 100 ethnic Kuoy villagers who gathered in Tbeng Meanchey’s Brame commune yesterday to celebrate International Peasants’ Day said they planned to attend today’s ceremony to ask Hun Sen to cancel the companies’ concessions.

“The companies are grabbing our land, natural resources and clearing and filling up our ponds and lakes which we used to depend on for a living,” said demonstrator Khum Rany.

Rany said her community collected more than 400 thumb-prints on a petition to drive the companies from the province. “If we are banned from meeting him, we will raise banners along the road,” she said.

Provincial Deputy Governor Sou Serey yesterday pledged not to let the protesters get close to the prime minister and said that NGOs have manipulated the villagers into action.

“The company has the right to invest and rent the land from the state. It was not involved in their community land,” he said.

Rui Feng employees declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • US, Cambodia pledge to strengthen military ties

    The US on Tuesday pledged to help train military officers, particularly Cambodia’s blue helmet troops deployed for UN’s peacekeeping operations. The pledge was made during a meeting between US ambassador Patrick Murphy and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief General Vong Pisen. Further

  • Sokha lodges an appeal over treason case reaching court

    Kem Sokha, the president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has appealed against the decision to send his treason case to trial. Sokha’s legal team said their client was not satisfied with the decision of a Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • Gov’t approves $9B worth of building projects in 2019

    The government has approved more than $9 billion this year for capital investment in the construction sector, a nearly 80 per cent increase on last year, with most of the growth coming from projects in Sihanoukville, according to Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea

  • King rescinds oknha honorific of 46 National Police officials

    The oknha titles of 46 National Police officials with the rank of general, as well as senior officials in the ministries of Interior and National Defence, will be withdrawn following a royal decree from King Norodom Sihamoni. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post