Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Provinces get incinerators




Provinces get incinerators

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 25 waste incinerators have been issued by the Ministry of Environment. MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT

Provinces get incinerators

Ministry of Environment officials have handed out more than 25 incinerators to local authorities to address short- and medium-term waste reduction in 15 provinces.

Ministry secretary of state and spokesman Neth Pheaktra, told The Post on Wednesday that delivery of the incinerators to the district authorities had been in place since 2017, and that they are technically eco-friendly and capable of burning two to seven tonnes of rubbish daily.

“The installation of a local incinerator will allow the authorities to clean the environment and they do not have to transport it for long distances,” Pheaktra said.

He also said the Ministry of Environment had provided 50 motorcycles with carts to the district authorities to transport rubbish from local areas to the incinerators. The motorcycles were a gift from the Chip Mong company.

Chip Mong chairman Leang Khun said the assistance was a contribution to improve the beauty of Phnom Penh and some provinces by reducing the amount of waste.

Pheaktra said rubbish in Cambodia currently stands at more than 10,000 tonnes per day and nearly four million tonnes a year, of which 65 per cent is organic waste, 20 per cent plastic and the rest solid waste and others.

He said only about 51 per cent of the rubbish is dumped at landfills, with the rest dumped on street corners, in water sources, or burned.

The rate of increase in Cambodia’s rubbish is around 15 per cent annually. The increased volume is due to population growth, consumer spending and packaging while the people’s behaviour has changed little in terms of waste classification and recyclables.

“The increase in the amount of solid waste from year to year is of great concern to the quality of the environment, public health and the loss of beauty in the city and district,” he said.

Pheaktra said there are still many obstacles in waste management practises in Cambodia that could cause serious effects in the future.

MOST VIEWED

  • China and India closer to ‘biggest’ showdown

    Indian and Chinese troops remained engaged in an eyeball-to-eyeball situation in several disputed areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Eastern Ladakh on Thursday, signalling that the confrontation could become the biggest military face-off after the Doklam episode in 2017. Ladakh is a union

  • Central bank to shun small US banknotes

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) is considering not accepting smaller denominated US dollar banknotes – $1, $2 and $5 – from banks and microfinance institutions (MFIs) which it said are flooding its stockpile as the demand for those notes is low. While some banking insiders welcomed the move as

  • PM lauded in Covid-19 fight

    World Health Organisation (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus sent a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen thanking him for following the WHO’s guidance and commending Cambodia’s efforts in the fight against Covid-19. In his letter made public by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

  • Workers return, hope for salaries

    More than 600 factory workers in the capital’s Chaom Chao commune in Por Sen Chey district returned to work after the factory’s owner promised to pay their salaries in instalments until the middle of next month. On Tuesday and Wednesday, more than 600 workers gathered

  • Women detained for forcing kids to beg

    Two women were sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Thursday for forcing six children to beg for money for several months at the Chhouk Meas market in Krang Thnong commune in the capital’s Sen Sok district. Phnom Penh Department of Anti-human Trafficking and

  • Vietnamese tents baffle border guards

    Kandal and Takeo provincial authorities bordering Vietnam have expressed concern after witnessing irregularities by the Vietnamese authorities, including the deployment of soldiers to erect 114 camps just 30m from the border. Takeo provincial governor Ouch Phea told The Post on Thursday that Vietnamese soldiers had erected 83