Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Provincial court says seized pistols were toys



Provincial court says seized pistols were toys

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities checked the gun after confiscating a truck loaded with 35 cases of sports shooting pistols. Supplied

Provincial court says seized pistols were toys

The Tbong Khmum provincial court on Tuesday confirmed that the pistols which were confiscated in the province’s Memot district were toy guns.

Earlier on Sunday, a joint force comprising officers from the customs and excise department as well as the provincial and national military police intercepted a truck heading for Tonle Cham checkpoint at the Cambodia-Vietnam border.

The truck driver and owner, along with the seized goods, were then sent to the province’s military police base for further action.

Theng Cheang, Tbong Khmum provincial court spokesman told The Post on Monday that the truck driver and owner were interrogated by the court, but no decision had been made.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting