Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Psychiatric exam ordered for Ieng Thirith

Psychiatric exam ordered for Ieng Thirith

Psychiatric exam ordered for Ieng Thirith

Experts will conduct further medical examination of former Khmer Rouge Social Action Minister Ieng Thirith next week in order to assess her fitness to stand trial, according to a court order released yesterday.

The Khmer Rouge tribunal’s Trial Chamber has scheduled medical assessments on September 12 and 13 for Ieng Thirith, one of four suspects facing charges including genocide and crimes against
humanity for her alleged role in the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million people from 1975 to 1979.

Phat Pouv Seang, defence counsel for the 79-year-old, said four experts – one each from Singapore and England and two Cambodians – would examine his client’s health.

“The fitness [to stand trial] hearing late last month is proof that my client is unwell and has lost her memory. Her health situation remains fragile,” he said, adding that a report on the examination would be submitted to the Trial Chamber by September 30.

Court spokesman Lars Olsen said yesterday that psychiatric experts had been appointed to assess Ieng Thirith, but he had “no information” about when the court would schedule hearings to assess reports of the medical examination.

A geriatrician who examined Ieng Thirith testified in hearings last month that she had “significant cognitive impairment” and an “underlying dementing illness” due “most likely” to Alzheimer’s disease. He also said Ieng Thirith would have “great difficulty” testifying in her own defence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the