Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Publisher arrested

Publisher arrested

Publisher arrested


 

Ross Dunkley, the publisher of The Phnom Penh Post, has been arrested by Myanmar authorities in Yangon on suspicion of violating the country’s immigration laws.

In a statement on Saturday, David Armstrong, chairman of Post Media Ltd, said Dunkley, who is also CEO and editor-in-chief of the weekly Myanmar Times, was arrested on Thursday under Section 13(1) of Myanmar’s Immigration (Emergency Provisions) Act after returning from a business trip to Japan.

Armstrong expressed “deep concern” over the arrest, which he said was linked to recent talks between Dunkley and Burmese shareholders over the direction of the publication.

“A key point about the arrest is timing,” Armstrong said. “It coincides with tense and protracted discussions Mr Dunkley and the foreign ownership partners in the Myanmar Times have been conducting with local partners.”

He said the disagreements had concerned “ownership issues and senior leadership roles”.

Armstrong said Dunkley, 55, is being held at Yangon’s Insein prison and is due in court for a hearing on February 24.

“His lawyers in Yangon say Mr Dunkley is confident he can answer any charges or allegations made against him and is looking forward to returning to lead the Myanmar Times group in the exciting times ahead,” he said.

Moun Ramady, CEO of Post Media Ltd, said he was concerned about Dunkley’s well-being, but declined to comment in detail due to the ongoing investigation.

“Our business will be running as usual,” he said.

Min Sein, Dunkley’s lawyer, could not be reached.

The Myanmar Times is published by Myanmar Consolidated Media Group Ltd, the only media organisation in military-ruled Myanmar that has foreign investors.

According to reports, Dunkley holds a 49 percent stake in the company, with the remaining 51 percent held by Tin Tun Oo, a member of the state-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party.

A major shareholder in MCM is Bill Clough, an Australian mining magnate who is also the CEO of Twinza Oil, which in 2006 signed a US$30 million deal to explore oil reserves off Myanmar’s southern coast.

Clough is also an investor in The Phnom Penh Post.

Aung Zaw, editor and founder of The Irrawaddy magazine, a Thailand-based exile publication, said it was hard to speculate about the causes of Dunkley’s arrest, but added that early information indicated it was indeed related to an attempt to force him to relinquish his stake in the paper.

He said the  foreign owners of the paper had been under particular pressure since 2008, when the Times was ordered to suspend publication for a week after it ran an unauthorised article about a government decision to raise satellite television fees.

Aung Zaw said he long suspected the paper’s local partners would seek to oust its foreign investors.

The Myanmar Times was set up in 2000 as a joint venture between Dunkley and Sonny Swe, the son of Brigadier General Thein Shwe, a close ally of then-Prime Minister Khin Nyunt.

After Khin Nyunt’s arrest during a government power struggle in 2004, Swe was jailed for 14 years on charges for violating censorship regulations and his shares were transferred to Tin Tun Oo, according to reports in The Irrawaddy.

Thirteen journalists were in jail in Myanmar as of December 1, making it “one of the five worst jailers of journalists in the world”, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

The Australian Embassy in Yangon has not responded to queries.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government denies claims former Thai PM Yingluck issued Cambodian passport

    Government officials on Thursday denied claims that a Cambodian passport was issued to former Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who reportedly used it to register a company in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong-based English language South China Morning Post (SCMP) on Wednesday reported Hong Kong

  • Diplomatic passports issued to foreigners to be annulled

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation will move to annul diplomatic passports issued to those not born in Cambodia. Analysts say the move may be in relation to reports that former Thai prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra used a Cambodian passport to register as

  • Hun Sen warns Irish MP of EBA ‘mistake’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Saturday told former Irish premier Enda Kenny, still a member of the EU nation’s parliament, that the 28-nation bloc should not make a “third mistake” regarding Cambodia by using the preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement to “take 16 million

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading