Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Questions renew over attack at Wat Phnom

Questions renew over attack at Wat Phnom

Boeung Kak land-rights activist Nget Khun arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for questioning.
Boeung Kak land-rights activist Nget Khun arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for questioning. Pha Lina

Questions renew over attack at Wat Phnom

Prominent Boeung Kak activist Nget Khun was questioned in court yesterday over the violent attack on land activists at Wat Phnom three years ago, demanding compensation of 15 million riel (about $3,750) for being struck in the chest with a marble during the violence.

Twenty anti-eviction activists from the Boeung Kak and Borei Keila communities as well as journalists were attacked by a group of masked men armed with sticks, slingshots and electric batons in September 2013 as they were holding a night-time candle-light vigil.

Eleven of the activists filed a complaint shortly after naming four Daun Penh district officials as the ringleaders of the attack: Deputy District Governor Sok Penhvuth, director of order Kim Vutha, district council official Pich Socheata and deputy district police chief Soa Nol.

Khun, who goes by the nickname “Mummy”, said she informed municipal investigating judge Lim Makaron yesterday that she was struck in the chest by the marble while going to help one of the injured activists.

“After running a few metres, I fainted and someone took me to Calmette hospital,” she said, adding that she submitted videos and photos of the attack to the Interior Ministry in 2013, but that investigating judge Lim Makaron yesterday asked her to resubmit the evidence.

She also said that Makaron had instructed her to not name people when she brought up council official Socheata in court, saying she risked legal action herself.

Khun’s fellow activist Phann Chhunreth on Monday told the court she had identified Socheata as having been at the scene that night.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police