Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Raid of Korean agency produces zero charges

Raid of Korean agency produces zero charges

Raid of Korean agency produces zero charges

Nine women aged 50 and older were released yesterday after being questioned at length over what police had feared was their possible involvement in human trafficking.

Not a single charge has been laid in relation to the anti-human trafficking police’s raid on the Association for People Protection in the capital’s Tuol Kork district on Monday, but police said yesterday that the agency had signed a contract promising to stop inviting young women to its office.

Keo Thea, director of the Phnom Penh municipal anti-human trafficking police, said the nine women, whom police had suspected to be brokers, had been released after signing a similar contract.

“They have promised not to do anything illegal and to stop luring girls from other provinces to apply to marry Korean men,” he said, adding that the nine women were related to some of the aspiring brides. “It is the women’s right to choose who they marry, but they must do it legally.”

Police raided APP’s office in Boeung Kak II commune on Monday as 49 women aged 18 to 25 gathered to have their “faces checked” by two South Korean prospective husbands.

Thea said there was nothing to indicate the agency, the nine women or the two men had done anything wrong, but said they may be investigated and questioned further.

“The future of the association depends on what’s going on, because we are still investigating,” he said.

Police also “educated” the 49 women about the risks of marrying someone they did not know or love, Thea said.

The government temporarily banned marriages between Cambodian women and Korean men in 2010 in an attempt to prevent human trafficking.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Koy Kuong told the Post on Monday that the ban was no longer in place, provided the groom is under 50 and a request is made to the couple’s embassies, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Interior.

APP and Heang Sopheak, deputy prosecutor of the Phnom Penh municipal court, who was involved in the raid, could not be reached for comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: Sen David at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman