Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rainsy ban to protect airport, official claims




Rainsy ban to protect airport, official claims

Heavily armed Royal Cambodian Armed Forces members stand guard at the Phnom Penh International Airport in November last year after rumours Sam Rainsy would be returning to the country.
Heavily armed Royal Cambodian Armed Forces members stand guard at the Phnom Penh International Airport in November last year after rumours Sam Rainsy would be returning to the country. Heng Chivoan

Rainsy ban to protect airport, official claims

The official who issued the ban on opposition leader Sam Rainsy’s return to Cambodia defended his decision in a radio interview on Tuesday, explaining that the directive was issued to avoid damage to airport infrastructure in the event that demonstrations broke out.

The ban on Rainsy’s return – and even on airplanes allowing him to board inbound flights – was issued by the Council of Ministers earlier this month, nearly a year after the CNRP leader again fled to Paris to avoid arrest. The ban, which amounts to state-sanctioned exile, has been roundly criticised by observers.

Tek Reth Samrach, a secretary of state at the Council of Ministers who issued the ban, said in an interview with Vayo FM that his decision was justified.

“We have to prevent it in advance. We see that his trip to Cambodia in the future under these political circumstances will lead to demonstrations,” Reth Samrach said. “When he enters, he would be arrested. There will be demonstrations, there will protests.”

“At the airport, there is a lot of infrastructure worth hundreds of millions of dollars. And each airplane is worth hundreds of millions of dollars,” the official said. “On behalf of the authorities, you have to take the responsibility to implement your obligations.”

“In this case, I am responsible,” he said. “For example, if he came and the airplane was on fire, who would be responsible? It’s only me in the end.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that