Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rainsy still atop party

Rainsy still atop party

Rainsy still atop party

110912_6
Sam Rainsy speaks to members of his political party in Phnom Penh via live video link yesterday.

Sam  has been re-elected as president of his eponymous party, despite the fact that he will not be able to contest the next election in Cambodia as he remains in self-imposed exile.

Speaking from Austria by video to about 5,000 party members at the former SRP headquarters yesterday, he thanked them for re-electing him and vowed to loyally serve the party’s 500,000 members until the day he dies.

“I will serve my people, I will serve my country to the end of my life. You love me and support me, but I know that you do not love Sam Rainsy the individual but love Sam Rainsy’s ideals,” he said.

Sam Rainsy said that if the SRP won the 2013 election and he became prime minister he would remove all land concession and return people’s property, much of which had been leased to foreign private companies by the government.

CPP lawmaker Chheang Von said Sam Rainsy’s promise to remove all land concession was impossible. The SRP also elected Kong Korm as deputy president, Hong Sok Hour as general financier, Ho Vann as accounting commissioner and Ke Sovannroth as secretary general.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will