Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ratanakkiri man sent to court on rape allegations

Ratanakkiri man sent to court on rape allegations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man has been sent to the Ratanakkiri provincial court on Sunday after he was accused of raping his 14-year-old step-daughter. Photo supplied

Ratanakkiri man sent to court on rape allegations

Ratanakkiri provincial police’s anti-human trafficking bureau sent a man to the provincial court on Sunday after he was arrested in Lumphat district on Friday accused of raping his 14-year-old step-daughter.

Keo Davy, the provincial deputy police chief in charge of the anti-human trafficking unit, told The Post on Sunday that the 36-year-old suspect was sent to court on Sunday afternoon.

“We are satisfied that he raped his step-daughter because he has confessed, and the girl also told us what the suspect did. He will face the full force of the law if the court finds him guilty,” she said.

Davy said the girl’s mother is a widow who has two more children with the suspect.

She said that last year, the suspect regularly persuaded the girl to go fishing with him far away from the village. Whilst there, she said, the suspect often seized the chance to rape his step-daughter.

“The suspect admitted to the authorities that he sometimes slept with his step-daughter and played with her genital area."

“He said he had raped her 10 times. Sometimes he penetrated her but sometimes he was not able to. After he raped her the first time, he threatened to kill her if she dared to tell anyone,” Davy said.

She said the authorities had received a complaint from the girl’s mother. After receiving the complaint, the suspect was arrested in Lumphat district and taken to the district police station.

Davy said the suspect initially denied the charges, but later he confessed and was sent to the police station in Ratanakkiri province.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said