Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ratanakkiri villagers questioned and released

Ratanakkiri villagers questioned and released

Ratanakkiri villagers questioned and released

FOUR ethnic Tumpoun villagers charged with trespassing on the property of a rubber company were released on Thursday after what the defendants and their lawyer described as a fair and friendly questioning session at the Ratanakkiri provincial court.

The villagers are embroiled in an ongoing land dispute with the plantation’s owner, DM Group. The only condition on their release was that they must inform commune authorities if they plan to leave the area for more than one week.

Defendant Sven Vev said investigating judge Thor Saron met separately with each defendant for around 30 minutes to discuss the trespassing charge.

“The judge talked gently to us. I didn’t feel as though I was under arrest. We just sat down and discussed the law,” he said.

He went on to say that the land dispute was never mentioned in the course of the meeting. Instead, the judge told him not to associate with thieves or commit any crime that would lead to another arrest.

Long Lon, the lawyer provided for the villagers by the rights group Adhoc, said the defendants had feared being arrested after they had been asked to meet with the judge, but were happily surprised by the tone and outcome of the proceedings.

“The questions were acceptable under the law,” Long Lon said. “Finally, the judge explained that they needed to inform commune authorities if they were travelling outside the area for more than a week, and asked them not to use violence or commit crimes that might send them back to jail.”

Pen Bonnar, an Adhoc provincial coordinator embroiled in the same dispute, said Thor Saron’s conduct Thursday had been fair, but accused him of processing the case too slowly.

Adhoc temporarily moved Pen Bonnar to Phnom Penh last year after he was charged with incitement for refusing to appear in court in connection with his support of the Tumpoun villagers, though he returned on January 1.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a