Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - RCAF officials forced to pick oknha title or their position



RCAF officials forced to pick oknha title or their position

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of National Defence Tea Banh has said that the title of oknha was granted to officials in the RCAF following them making a monetary donation to the state. Heng Chivoan

RCAF officials forced to pick oknha title or their position

More than two-thirds of senior officials at the General Command Headquarters of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) have decided to relinquish their oknha titles to maintain their roles in the armed forces, an RCAF official said.

Of 61 senior officials, 45 relinquished their title of oknha, while 16 decided to retain it at the expense of their jobs in the military.

The need to choose between the two came from an order issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen at a meeting of the Cambodian People’s Party central committee last month.

On August 23, Hun Sen confirmed the order on Facebook: “[The government] will not allow armed forces officials, such as soldiers, police and Military Police, to have the title oknha any more. In the past, some of them took the two titles to commit illegal acts.”

RCAF General Command spokesman Thong Solimo told The Post on Sunday that after the announcement, 61 unnamed officials who held the oknha title along with a position in the General Command of the RCAF – including the navy, army, air force and Military Police – were forced to choose between their titles.

He said the figures did not include officials at the Ministry of National Defence, and that the figures would be sent to Minister of National Defence Tea Banh for the final verdict on their titles.

Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, told The Post on Sunday that the oknha title was granted to officials in the RCAF following them making a monetary donation to the state.

He said there was no specific figure available for the number of officials currently serving in the RCAF who had obtained the oknha title. But according to previously released figures, between 1994 and 2014 Cambodia granted the title of oknha to 704 individuals.

To receive the title, the law states that an individual must donate more than $500,000 to the state, with King Norodom Sihamoni then granting them the title.

San Chey, the Executive Director of Affiliated Network for Social Accountability, said the measure was intended to prevent damage to the government’s image when RCAF officials with the title abuse their power or commit offences.

However, he said it would take more than stripping them of their title to end illegal practices.

Only monitoring and proper law enforcement can lead to powerful officials not abusing their positions. The important thing is that the authorities or courts must not be afraid of holding those in such position [oknha] accountable,” he said.

Video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants