Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Re-audit still flawed, jailed tycoon claims

Re-audit still flawed, jailed tycoon claims

Heng Chheang (right) is escorted by a police officer as he exits the Appeal Court last year
Heng Chheang (right) is escorted by a police officer as he exits the Appeal Court last year. Sreng Meng Srun

Re-audit still flawed, jailed tycoon claims

Jailed businessman Heng Chheang has called on the Court of Appeal to dismiss the findings of a new audit into the years-long embezzlement case brought against him by tycoon and ruling party senator Kok An, saying the audit’s scope exceeded its mandate, and ignored key evidence.

The audit – carried out by the National Audit Authority after it was revealed that the previous investigation into Chheang’s case was incomplete – found that even after a more thorough accounting, Chheang still appeared to have stolen more than $7.7 million, down from the $58 million he was convicted of stealing in 2011.

However, in a letter dated December 16, Chheang argued that the new audit was just as flawed because it had examined transactions that occurred outside the timeframe when he was deputy director of An’s Anco Brothers Co LTD – when the crimes were allegedly committed – and ignored other transactions that would have exonerated him.

“This report on the re-audit, which was made by the National Audit Authority, has no juristic value for use in the Appeal Court’s penal case … because it was made without respecting the court’s warrant,” Chheang’s letter reads.

According to the official re-audit, dated December 11 and signed by National Audit Authority President Som Kimsour, Chheang transferred a total of $60.5 million from An’s account into his own accounts or those of his relatives. Chheang then transferred $52.8 million back into An’s accounts, leaving a $7.7 million discrepancy.

Neither An nor Kimsour and her fellow auditing official, Thuch Panhchak Kampol, could be reached for comment.

An’s defence attorney, Long Dara, said yesterday that he could not comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from