Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Recent diarrhoea outbreak not caused by cholera: tests

Recent diarrhoea outbreak not caused by cholera: tests

Recent diarrhoea outbreak not caused by cholera: tests

LABORATORY tests have shown that an outbreak of diarrhoea that affected 252 people and killed two in Kampong Cham last week was not caused by cholera, a provincial health official said Sunday.

Yin Vibol, deputy director of the Chamkar Leu district referral hospital in Kampong Cham, said tests conducted by the Pasteur Institute in Phnom Penh had shown that cholera was not responsible for last week’s outbreak.

“The institute has informed us that it was just a simple diarrhoea disease and not cholera,” he said. “We have already managed to control the situation of the epidemic, but still more and more people have been infected.”

Last week’s fatalities brought the number of diarrhoea-related deaths in the provinces of Kampong Cham, Ratanakkiri, Kratie and Stung Treng to a total of 34 so far this year, according to reports from health officials, who all said that cholera was not to blame in most cases.

Sourn Vuthy, deputy director of the Stung Treng Health Department who monitors communicable diseases, said that there had been 166 reported cases of diarrhoea and seven deaths in the province since an outbreak began there in March.

He said laboratory tests showed that the outbreak had not been caused by cholera, but added that reports of stomach ache and diarrhoea were still coming in.

Officials from both Kratie and Ratanakkiri acknowledged that cholera had been detected in their provinces, but said that the disease had been contained very quickly and affected only a few people.

Chhneang Sovutha, director of the Kratie Health Department, said 300 cases of diarrhoea and 10 deaths had been reported in the province since an outbreak began in March, but recent laboratory tests did not detect the presence of cholera. Tests showed in late March that five deaths had been caused by cholera.

Referring to those who had fallen ill recently, he said, “They had diarrhoea because they drank bad water from dirty places like potholes when they went into jungles,” he said.

Tha Bunthak, deputy director of Ratanakkiri’s Health Department, said there had been 525 reported cases of stomachache and diarrhoea and 15 deaths in the province since January.

“According to the result of the tests that we have just received, it was not cholera,” he added. “It was just simple diarrhoea, which has been caused by the drinking of unclean water, and the lack of hygiene among tribal people. We have already educated them to drink boiled water.”

On Saturday, Prime Minister Hun Sen called for all people to improve hygiene practices to protect against diarrhoea.

“The weather is changing very much. It is very hot, and rainfall and lightning have happened and killed people and caused diarrhoea to burst out in some areas,” he said.

“It is time we must be very careful about communicable diseases. The authorities, especially in the health care sector, must pay more attention on the safety of our citizens, especially the problem of using unclean and poor quality water, which is the cause of diarrhoea.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not