Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Record-setting amount of rubbish sent to dumpsites

Record-setting amount of rubbish sent to dumpsites

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Environment secretary of state and spokesman Neth Pheaktra. Hean Rangsey

Record-setting amount of rubbish sent to dumpsites

Civil society organisations fear that the Kingdom’s dumpsites will soon be overwhelmed after the Ministry of Environment announced in its annual report on Monday that 1.95 tonnes of rubbish – an increase of 13.4 per cent from last year – was sent to landfills across Cambodia each day.

The report was released at a meeting attended by Environment Minister Say Sam Al, more than 500 ministry officials, development partners, representatives from relevant institutions and representatives from the private sector, to discuss the ministry’s work this year as it looks ahead to next year’s plan.

It said that officials organised the installation of 19 small incinerators in Phnom Penh and 12 other provinces, while also providing technical advice on how to establish new dumpsites in 12 target provinces.

A total of 939 factories nationwide agreed to install automatic monitoring equipment after they were studied, while 39 infractions were uncovered during investigations, the report said. Letters ordering reforms were issued in 34 of the cases and fines were imposed in five cases.

Ministry spokesman Neth Pheaktra told The Post that Cambodians would no longer experience lax law enforcement that allowed 10-20 per cent of rubbish to be disposed of publicly.

Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said the government would take a multi-pronged strategy to address the issue, beginning with mechanisms to collect rubbish from the streets and enforcing fines of 10,000-20,000 riel for litter-bugs and 10 million riel for large-scale polluters.

“Five companies have already sought to invest in recycling through the ministry, but we are currently conducting a feasibility study of these firms so that we can introduce meaningful measures that can be adapted immediately,” he said.

Pheaktra also reiterated that the Kingdom was not a rubbish bin for other countries to send their waste – obviously referring to the 83 shipping containers discovered in September that brimmed with hazardous plastic waste from the US and Canada.

Community Sanitation and Recycling Organisation (CSARO) executive director Heng Yon Kora told The Post that Cambodians’ understanding of waste disposal has not developed as quickly as the Kingdom’s burgeoning prosperity.

“We [CSARO] are extremely concerned because if there is no longer a proper dumpsite, then the amount of rubbish is going to grow drastically. Cambodian rubbish includes a lot of organic waste but even that is mixed up with single-use plastic bags, so everything becomes difficult to recycle.

“If we organise and dispose of waste according to their categories, it would be of great benefit to our recycling efforts,” he said.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a