Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Refugee group shrinks by two




Refugee group shrinks by two

Refugee group shrinks by two

Despite a recent government announcement that four more refugees on the Pacific island of Nauru had agreed to move to Cambodia, Interior Minister Sar Kheng yesterday revised that number downward, saying two who had reportedly shown interest had backed out after meeting with Cambodian officials.

In an interview with PNN TV, Kheng said that officials from the General Department of Immigration had visited Nauru after receiving word of the refugees’ interest from the Australian government. The move falls under a highly controversial agreement struck between the two governments last year in which the Kingdom promised to accept refugees being held by Australia on Nauru in exchange for A$40 million (US$28.3 million) in aid.

“We have sent officials for interviews, but the result I have received is that only two among the four volunteered to come; the other two did not wish to come to live in Cambodia,” Kheng said.

He did not mention when the two refugees, both Rohingya, were expected to arrive.

In June, Cambodia accepted four refugees – three Iranians and one ethnic Rohingya from Myanmar – who agreed to resettlement in Cambodia after being offered numerous perks, including a sizable monetary inducement.

The Rohingya has since requested to return to Myanmar, saying he missed his family, and the Myanmar Embassy is currently waiting on paperwork to process the return.

“We’re paying a lot of attention to integrating the three remaining [refugees] so that they can have the right and freedom to live like Cambodian people,” Kheng said yesterday.

Tan Sokvichea, head of the Immigration Department’s Refugee Division, said yesterday that the government of Australia and the International Organization for Migration will facilitate the process of bringing the two new volunteers to Cambodia.

“These two refugees are men, and both of them are Rohingya,” Sokvichea said.

Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak originally said last month that the latest group of four also contained three Iranians and one Rohingya.

Ian Rintoul, of the Australia-based Refugee Action Coalition, said that while he had not heard of Cambodian officials’ trip to Nauru, it was unsurprising that there hadn’t been more interest in resettlement in Cambodia.

“The Cambodia deal is a joke. The more people that realise that, the better,” he said. “People only really see Cambodia as a stepping stone. The word that’s coming back to Nauru is that . . . the money [offered to those who go] isn’t being given to them in any lump sum that’s usable.”

“The word on Nauru is that there is no sweet deal at all . . . In terms of what they’ve heard, it’s all bad,” he continued. “They’ve got thousands of people in desperate conditions [on Nauru], and they can find four [volunteers].”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STUART WHITE

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia