Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Relocation protest at City Hall

Relocation protest at City Hall

Relocation protest at City Hall

ABOUT 50 people staged a protest outside City Hall yesterday, agitating for municipal authorities to intervene after Meanchey district officials gave around 200 families living in Prek Pra commune 15 days  to relocate.

According to a notice signed by district governor Kouch Chamroeun and dated December 25, families living along the banks of Prek Pra lake were told me deconstruct their houses within 15 days “in order to facilitate water current flow” as a flood prevention measure.

It stated that Prek Pra Lake was state property and was “a major waterway to prevent flooding”. The letter does not mention any compensation for those affected.

Sun Thida, a 22-year-old resident of Prek Pra commune, said families were calling for district officials to give them more time to move, and asking to be compensated with the equivalent of the market value of their homes.

“The [district] authority not only does not have any compensation for us, but also accused us of building houses on state land,” Sun Thida said.

“In fact we are legally living on the land with recognition from the commune authorities.”

Pov Sith, a 34-year-old resident, said some 200 families had been living on the land with legal land titles since 1990.

“We will not move out if the state doesn’t pay us appropriate compensation,” he said.

Heak Chanleang, deputy district governor, said only about 10 families had been ordered to relocate from the area.

“The villagers built homes on state land. They were anarchic building,” he said.

“If they have legal land titles, please show the authority because we want to know who produced the land titles for them.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from