Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Relocation site has villagers worried

Relocation site has villagers worried

Relocation site has villagers worried

Villagers facing relocation from the site of the planned Lower Sesan 2 dam in Stung Treng province were told last week that they would be moved 15 kilometres from the river they rely on for fishing, a commune chief said yesterday.

Seak Mekong, commune chief in Sesan district’s Srekor commune, said villagers had suspected they would be moved to the proposed relocation site, in Sdao commune, but had their suspicions confirmed in a meeting he attended with officials from the ministries of agriculture and energy.

“The authorities have found a new village on the other side of the river,” he said, adding that officials were still inspecting the site.

“It’s far away – 15 kilometres – from the [Sesan] river.”

Mekong said five villagers had been invited to inspect the site in mid-January – being told it was a possible relocation site for 445 families within the planned reservoir’s 33,000-hectare zone – and had found it lacking in arable land, basic infrastructure and fishing opportunities.

“They’re worried about the new location,” Mekong said, echoing concerns raised by villagers at a forum on the dam in the capital last month.

“What about the fruit trees?” cried one villager at that forum.

“It takes a lot of time for us to grow more at our new sites.”

NGO Forum on Cambodia research suggests the majority of families in Sesan district and surrounding areas rely on agriculture for their primary income; however, some villagers have said their reliance on fishing has been underestimated.

Cambodia’s Royal Group and Chinese company Hydrolancang International Energy announced in November they would build the $781 million, 400-megawatt dam where the Sesan and Srepok rivers meet.

Electricity Vietnam International reportedly withdrew from the project after at one stage holding a 51 per cent stake.

Royal Group and government officials visited Mekong’s commune last week, asking him to sign forms letting them clear area inside the reservoir zone.

“I had to sign this, because they have already agreed... to develop it,” he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Sen David at [email protected]
Shane Worrell at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong