Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Remains of soldiers repatriated

Remains of soldiers repatriated

Remains of soldiers repatriated

Preah Vihear provincial authorities held a ceremony yesterday to hand over the remains of 37 Vietnamese troops killed during fighting with the Khmer Rouge.

Provincial police chief Sy Kiry told the Post that more than 60 Vietnamese delegates, led by Gia Lai provincial governor Pham The Dung, were present at the ceremony to collect the soldiers’ remains.

The Vietnamese delegation also granted $50,000 to provincial authorities to construct a remembrance stupa from the two governments, and to build a small genocide museum, he added.

“We expected to find the remains of 32 troops in 2012-13, but we found the remains of 37,” he said, adding that the remains of a total 445 troops had been found since the searches began in 2005.

According to Kiry, the ceremony was the ninth held to hand back remains to Vietnamese authorities, with a new mission to find more remains to be launched next year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • ‘Action needed to stop road deaths doubling by next year’

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has expressed concern over the rate of traffic accidents, saying the death toll will double by 2020 if no effective preventive measures were put in place. At least five people on average are killed on Cambodian roads every day. The interior

  • Cambodian rice to lose EU duty-free status

    The Cambodian rice sector is set to lose its duty-free export status to the EU today – its major rice market – after the European bloc decided to impose tariffs on rice from Cambodia and Myanmar to curb a surge in such imports. The decision will be

  • Ministry to lose $60M a year in revenue

    The Ministry of Commerce will lose $60 million in revenue annually after the government eliminated export procedures in a campaign to boost competitiveness, a senior official at the ministry has said. Speaking at a press conference on Friday regarding the EU’s decision to impose safeguard