Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Renew probe

Renew probe

Renew probe

Dear Sir,

T his letter is in reference to the response of Mr Leng Sochea, press Director of the Ministry of Information, regarding an article titled, "Political Killing raises fear", written by Ms Anugraha Palan, in the May 20-June 2, 1994 issue .

Investigations conducted by the Ministries of Justice and Interior, and confirmed by Licadho, have demonstrated that the two policemen killed on April 19th, the night of Ang Kuoy's death, were victims of an unrelated Khmer Rouge attack.

However, government reports, obtained by Licadho, shed no light whatsoever in the killing of Ang Kouy. As was well documented by Untac, Ang Kuoy had been receiving death threats from CPP officials in Kampot for more than one year prior to his death. The government reports does not address the possibility that Ang Kuoy was the target of a politically motivated attack by local government officials.

Therefore, we urge the government to renew it's investigation on the Ang Kuoy murder.

- Licadho, a Khmer-run human rights NGO.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on