Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Repeat offender held for trapping wildlife



Repeat offender held for trapping wildlife

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
As he is a repeat offender Sa Va could face between one and five years imprisonment and fined from 15-150 million riel. Supplied

Repeat offender held for trapping wildlife

The Mondulkiri Provincial Court on Wednesday ordered police to temporarily detain a man at the provincial prison after he was charged with setting a trap to catch wildlife at the Sre Pok Wildlife Sanctuary, said provincial Department of Environment director Keo Sopheak.

Sopheak said Sa Va, 31, who lives in Nang Khylek commune, in Koh Nhek district, Mondulkiri, was arrested by forest rangers from the sanctuary, located in Trapang Kor Koh, as he set 35 traps at the O’Lvea area within it on March 21.

Forest rangers confiscated some evidence including a machete, a hoe, and a motorbike without a plate number. They are being kept as evidence at the department. As for the traps, the rangers collected and burnt them on the spot so that they could not be used again.

After questioning, Sopheak said the rangers prepared the case and accused Va of destroying third-grade natural resources.

Va was sent to the provincial court for further action on Wednesday and was charged the same day with trapping wild animals under Articles 61 and 56 of the Law on Environmental Protection and Natural Resource Management. He was put in pre-trial detention pending his hearing.

“Va was previously sentenced to two months in prison by the provincial court for a similar offence, but he still repeated the crime. As he is a repeat offender, if found guilty, he could be sentenced to between one and five years imprisonment and fined from 15-150 million riel,” Sopheak said.

Over the past three months, forest rangers and Mondulkiri Department of Environment officers have arrested 30 suspects and sent them to court for further action.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said