Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Report rebutted: Gov’t defends progress on trafficking



Report rebutted: Gov’t defends progress on trafficking

Report rebutted: Gov’t defends progress on trafficking

The Cambodian government has hit back at a US State Department report that heavily criticised its efforts to combat human trafficking, claiming it was riddled with false information and vague generalisations.

The 2013 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report, released last Friday, downgraded the Kingdom for the first time since 2009 to a level for nations not able to provide sufficient evidence that they are trying to meet minimum anti-trafficking standards.

In a statement released yesterday by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the government said the report ignored its efforts, and labeled parts of the report “ludicrous”.

“Many of the issues raised in this report are either made from general sweeping assumptions or lacking real evidence in the first place to prove otherwise,” the statement said.

It argues that in recent years the Kingdom has pushed through a number of legislations designed to crack down on trafficking that the report “deliberately” ignored in order to criticise Cambodia’s lack of progress.

Last week’s report slammed the government for “endemic” corruption that it said undermined prosecutions and efforts to hold traffickers to account.

But yesterday’s statement claimed that “real progress” had been made in 2012, with 133 suspects arrested, 458 victims rescued and 300 convicted by the courts.

Those numbers contrast starkly with the report, which said that just 50 traffickers were prosecuted in the reporting period, resulting in 44 convictions between April 1 2012 and 31 March 2013.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants