Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Request to expand Khmer Rouge case

Request to expand Khmer Rouge case

Request to expand Khmer Rouge case


Prosecutors have once again called on judges at the Khmer Rouge tribunal to expand the current case against the regime’s three most senior living leaders, warning that a failure to do so would undermine the court’s legacy.

Ever since Case 002 was severed into “mini-trials” shortly before its start last year, prosecutors, civil parties and court monitors have raised concern over the narrow scope of the first case – which, given the advanced age and ill health of the defendants, will likely be the only case. That case, known as Case 002/001, deals only with forced evacuations, and many have argued the focus is an insufficient representation of the worst of the Khmer Rouge’s crimes.

Admitting that the defendants’ poor health made it unlikely further mini-trials would be heard, the Trial Chamber last month agreed to slightly expand the scope of the current case, but added just one additional crime site, saying that further expansion would lengthen the proceedings too much.

In an appeal filed with the Supreme Court Chamber on Wednesday, the co-prosecutors argue on both moral and legal grounds for the inclusion of two crime sites requested in their original motion – the infamous S-21 security centre and the District 12 execution site, where hundreds were murdered.

“The Trial Chamber erred in law and/or erred in the exercise of its discretion, by failing to apply the correct legal standard for severance of charges,” they argue, adding that the additions requested would not substantially elongate the case, as the judges have contended.

“The exclusion of the crime sites requested by the Co-Prosecutors leaves charges which are, in fact, not reasonably representative of the crimes charged, to the detriment of the rights and interests of victims, the Co-Prosecutors, and the goals of national reconciliation and an accurate historical record.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Abby Seiff at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • ‘Dire consequences’ from sanctions, warns AmCham

    American businesspeople in Cambodia have warned that any sanction against the Kingdom would have “dire consequences” that could push Cambodia even further into the arms of China. In a letter to US senators and representatives dated Monday, the American Chamber of Commerce Cambodia (AmCham) said