Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Residents set to protest after villagers' arrest

Residents set to protest after villagers' arrest

Residents set to protest after villagers' arrest

About 200 villagers from Banteay Meanchey province’s Malai district will protest in front of the provincial court today to request the release of two village representatives arrested on Thursday in connection with a land dispute, villagers said yesterday.

Ly Khley, 43, a villager and former Khmer Rouge soldier from Tuol Pongro commune’s Santipheap village, said that provincial police had arrested Yin Vang, 49, and Saing Ban, 53, as they ploughed a rice paddy on the disputed land.

“It is very unjust because they arrested our two representatives and told us not to protest, and they said that if anybody resisted, they would be shot,” Ly Khley said, adding that about 60 villagers had already protested in front of the provincial court on Saturday.

Provincial court judge Theam Chan Piseth confirmed that police had arrested the two men for clearing Ly Out Ny’s land.

Ly Khley said that after former Khmer Rouge soldiers joined with the government in 1996, a local military commander had given about five hectares of land each to 376 families, which villagers did not use until 2009 because they had been “working” elsewhere.

He claimed that after businessman Ly Out Ny declared ownership of the land in 2009, villagers filed a complaint to the Defence Ministry. In response, Defence Minister Tea Banh decreed that each family should receive one hectare and that Ly Out Ny should receive 28.

Ly Out Ny said yesterday that he had bought 459 hectares of land in the area in 1998 and had documents recognised by local authorities.

“After I cleared parts of the land [of mines], people came to take over my land,” he said, adding that the villagers had no land titles to support their claims.

Soum Chankea, Banteay Meanchey coordinator for local rights group Adhoc, said yesterday that Ly Out Ny had filed a complaint in 2009 in relation to the dispute to the provincial court, which awarded him the 459 hectares of land this year.

Defence Ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat and provincial police chief Kheng Soum could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong