Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Restriction measures in capital extended through July 3

Restriction measures in capital extended through July 3

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
In a directive issued on June 19, Phnom Penh governor Khuong Sreng said this urgent measure is intended to curb the spread of the virus. Hean Rangsey

Restriction measures in capital extended through July 3

In a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to extend the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of transmission for 14 days effective at the onset of June 20 through July 3.

This comes as Cambodia continues to grapple with the pandemic. On June 18-19 alone, the Ministry of Health reported 1,270 transmission cases, 142 of which were imported, and 34 deaths.

In a directive issued on June 19, Phnom Penh governor Khuong Sreng said this urgent measure is intended to curb the spread of the virus.

Businesses and occupations deemed as posting high risks include entertainment clubs, KTVs, nightclubs, discotheques, beer gardens, casinos, resorts, museum, parks, massage parlours, cinemas and sport centres.

Public and private educational institutions must also be suspended but are allowed to transition online. Some other businesses might also be suspended depending on the actual situation, the directive said.

All gatherings with more than 15 people are also banned, except among family members in the same home, at funerals permitted by the authorities, or among health workers who collect specimens for Covid-19 testing, and providers of emergency services.

Businesses not deemed as posing high risks as stated in the directive can proceed as usual but must strictly follow preventive measures and require staff to scan the ‘Stop Covid’ QR Code.

“Any individuals and establishments caught violating the directive are subject to administrative measures and legal action and public revelation of their identities,” the directive said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four