Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - In Review



In Review

In Review

Oct 28: Reuters reported that two Hong Kong firms and a Cambodian company

announced the formation of a $35 million joint venture to produce cement for the

local market and for export.

Minister of Industry Pou Sothirak told a news conference that the Golden Angkor Cement

Co Ltd will produce up to 500,000 tons a year by early next decade.

Second Prime Minister Hun Sen, who attended the signing ceremony, said Cambodia's

political troubles were now in the past and the country was becoming increasingly

attractive for foreign investors.

"Cambodia is not a battlefield anymore," Hun Sen said.

Oct. 30: Reuters reported Cambodia and South Korea established full diplomatic

relations in a move officials said would boost economic ties.

South Korea and Cambodia upgraded their ties from mission-level status in a ceremony

attended by co-premiers Hun Sen and Ung Huot and Park Kyung-tae, Seoul's envoy to

Cambodia.

"This new development in relations will give some enticement, some encouragement

to our businesses when they come here," Park told reporters.

About 20 South Korean companies have invested a total of $300 million in Cambodia

in recent years, according to the country's commercial mission in Phnom Penh. Two-way

trade was worth $20 million last year, with Cambodia accounting for $2 million in

exports.

Nov. 2: Reuters reported China has sent a security official to Cambodia to

help investigations into a seized shipment of guns, a senior police official said.

The official arrived on Nov 1, the same day a Chinese man was arrested in Phnom Penh

and charged with illegally importing weapons in connection with the case.

Police in Phnom Penh confiscated 200 shotguns packed in 40 wooden crates on Oct 24.

The guns were imported on a Cambodian commercial flight from China.

Nov. 4: Reuters reported Cambodia's wet season rice harvest is expected

to be slightly lower than last year due to flood damage.

This year's harvest was expected to be 2.58 million tons, compared with 2.68 million

tons last year, said Agriculture Ministry Under Secretary of State Chan Tong Yves.

"We expect this year's wet season harvest will not be as good as last year's

because more than 60,000 hectares were flooded for a long period."

The total area under rice, some 1.7 million hectares, was the same this year as the

previous year, as was output per hectare of 1.5 tons.

But Chan Tong Yves said he expected the upcoming dry season harvest to be better

than the previous dry season because of sufficient water.

Output of paddy for the coming dry season was expected to be 625,000 tons, compared

with 600,000 tons the previous dry season, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year