Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - RFA shuts down Cambodia operations amid media crackdown

RFA shuts down Cambodia operations amid media crackdown

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
United States-funded broadcaster Radio Free Asia will close its Phnom Penh bureau and cease in-country operations. Photo supplied

RFA shuts down Cambodia operations amid media crackdown

United States-funded broadcaster Radio Free Asia announced today it will close its Phnom Penh bureau and cease in-country operations citing a recent crackdown on independent media that has made it “impossible” to continue in the country.

The announcement comes as RFA and fellow US-funded broadcaster Voice of America have seen their broadcasts severely curtailed after the closure of more than 30 radio frequencies that aired their shows across the country. Last month, they were also pulled up by the Finance Ministry for failing to pay taxes and for not being licensed news organisations. The independent English-language newspaper the Cambodia Daily was also recently forced to shutter over a tax dispute.

Libby Liu, president of Radio Free Asia, said it had become increasingly apparent that Prime Minister Hun Sen had no intention of allowing a free press to exist ahead of next year’s crucial national election.

“Using a thin pretext of tax and administrative violations, authorities have closed independent radio stations carrying RFA, Voice of America, and Voice of Democracy,” she said in a statement.

She likened the broadcaster’s situation to that of the Daily, which was shut down last week for failing to pay a purported $6.3 million in back taxes after being given a one-month deadline.

“Authorities have been employing these same tactics against RFA, despite our full cooperation at every step to comply with all requests and our sincere efforts to register as a licensed media company,” she said.

“As history has shown, dictators may rise and force their will on nations, but the people will always seek truth in pursuit of freedom,” the statement concludes.

RFA spokesman Rohit Mahajan would only confirm that its local reporters will stop working in the country and coverage would be handled by its Washington, DC, bureau.

Information Ministry spokesman Ouk Kimseng today maintained the ministry had nothing to do with RFA’s closure, calling it a step taken by the broadcaster, and not imposed by officials.

“Ask them whether the Ministry of Information has done anything towards their colleagues . . . All their accusations are twisted,” he said.

Earlier in the day, CNRP lawmaker Son Chhay said he would send a letter to the ministry asking for an explanation as to why radio frequencies had been shut down, claiming the closures were not in line with the Press Law.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges